I would like to wish each of you a Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your time with family and friends! I am so thankful to have such a great group of students and parents!
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Friday, November 21, 2014
This week students have been busy learning about multiplication properties in math, point of view vs perspective in ELA, and Westward Expansion in Social Studies. Scan the QR code to listen to what students have learned about this week!
Math by Aryanna
ELA by Malik
We will have our Ecosystems end of unit test, Monday, November 24th. Please make sure your child spends some time studying over the weekend. Study guides were emailed to students last week. If students have not already made flashcards to help them study, they can do so using Funnelbrain. This is a website Ms. Skinner, our school's guidance couselor, introduced to the students when she did a lesson on how to study. We created accounts in class, so all students will need to do is go in and create their flashcards to help them prepare for the test!
Last week some of the students began blogging in the classroom! This is a great way for students to share with parents and their peers what they are learning in class. We are using Weebly.com, which is a very easy to use website that hosts student blogs. Click on some of the links to check out some of the blogs and what students have been learning in class!
Once the rest of the students get their blogs up and going, I will share their URL address with you so that you can keep up with what they are doing in class!
Sunday, November 16, 2014
We had such a great time at Camp Discovery! The students were able to explore a forest ecosystem! A special thank you to Mrs. Barrs and Dr. Davis for serving as chaperones!
Even Mrs. Barrs had a great time!
Love this bunch of gators!!!
This year all Middle School Magnet interviews, writing samples and activities will be scheduled onat Spring Valley High School. Students will be asked to bring a personally meaningful artifact to the interview. This artifact is primarily used as a prop to put the student as ease and give the interview team a way to personalize the interview. Students will participate in a 15 minute individual interview with a team of two teachers and then move to the auditorium to complete the writing sample. From there, students applying to certain magnets will move to another area for a hands-on activity. More details will come out soon, but for now, please be aware of the upcoming important dates listed below.
- Choice Fair (featuring Magnet Programs, Westwood High School, 6:30 - 8:00 - December 2, 2014
- Choice Application Process Begins On-Line at www.richland2.org - January 6, 2015
- Choice Application Process Ends On-Line: All applications are due by 5:00 pm on January 30, 2015.
- Choice Acceptance/Non Acceptance Notifications Posted On-line - March 18-24, 2015
- Parents Accept or Declinge Choice On-Line - March 18-24, 2015
The Choice Fair and the school information meetings are highly recommended for students changing schools, school levels, applying to magnet programs or students new to Richland Two. Information regarding individual school and magnet programs will be provided during informational meetings. Please refer to the schedule listed below. All informational meetings begin at
- January 6, 2015 - Blythewood Middle, Gymnasium - School Information Meeting
- January 7, 2015 - Dent Middle, Cafeteria - School/Magnet Infomation Meeting: TLC & FAME
- January 8, 2015 - Longleaf Middle, Gymnasium, LEAP & ZooBot
- January 12, 2015 - Dent Middle, Cafeteria - Single Gender & FAME
- January 13, 2015 - Summit Parkway Middle, Gymnasium - SIDI
- January 14, 2015 - Muller Road Middle, Gymnasium - Leadership Academy at Muller
- January 21, 2015 - E.L. Wright, Gymnasium - LAW & International Program
- January 22, 2015 - Kelly Mill Middle, Gymnasium - Kelly Mill, INC.
If you have any questions, please contact our school's guidance counselor, Mrs. Skinner.
Each morning for morning work students have to complete 5-6 math problems. These are review skills that we have covered in class or they have learned in 4th grade. On each Friday, students will be given a quiz on problems that will come directly from their morning work. We go over all problems each day. As we are going over the problems the students should be making corrections in red, if necessary. Please make sure your child is studying his/her morning work each night so that he/she will be prepared for Friday's quiz.
Smile for the camera! Make up Picture Day is Friday, November 21st. Please let me know if your child will be taking make up pictures. This is the picture that will be in the yearbook. If you have not paid for your pictures or have not turned them in, please do so as soon as you can.